The main responsibilities of the Committee include:
- identifying and nominating for the approval of the Board candidates to fill Board vacancies as and when they arise;
- before making an appointment, evaluating the balance of skills, knowledge and experience on the Board and, in light of this evaluation, preparing a description of the role and capabilities required for a particular appointment;
- reviewing periodically the time required from a Non-Executive Director. Performance evaluation is used to assess whether the Non-Executive Director is spending enough time to fulfil his or her duties;
- giving full consideration to succession planning in the course of its work, taking into account the challenges and opportunities facing the Company and what skills and expertise are therefore needed on the Board in the future;
- regularly reviewing the structure, size and composition (including the skills, knowledge, independence, diversity and experience) of the Board and making recommendations to the Board with regard to changes considered advisable; and
- keeping under review the leadership needs of the organisation, both Executive and Non-Executive, with a view to ensuring the continued ability of the Group to compete effectively in the marketplace.